Sebastian Inlet (formally known as Sebastian Inlet State Park) is one of the top attractions in Florida’s eastern coast. It’s best known as a destination for avid anglers, surfers, and beach lovers.
How to Get There
Sebastian Inlet sits on a barrier island off the Space Coast. It’s connected to the Indian River Lagoon, and can be accessed via Vero Beach and Melbourne. You can view the complete directions here if you’re coming from Indian River County or Brevard County.
Sebastian Inlet is particularly popular among adventure seekers, fishing enthusiasts, and outdoor lovers. Here is a list of activities you can enjoy in this idyllic state park.
- Go camping. If you wish to stay the night at Sebastian Inlet, you can go camp at any one of the 51 campsites located near the state park. These campsites are well-equipped with electricity and water, as well as picnic tables.
- Saltwater fishing. The waters around Sebastian Inlet are positively teeming with marine life, making the state park especially favored among anglers from around the area and beyond. Healthy populations for Spanish mackerel, snook, bluefish, and redfish swim around the area. Sport Fishing has a fantastic article about inshore fishing in Sebastian Inlet. You can read it here for more information.
- Surfing. The Atlantic Ocean generates some great swells around Sebastian Inlet, attracting throngs of surfers to the state park regularly. Surfing can be quite challenging in the inlet, however, as there is plenty of boat traffic in the area. That said, surfing remains one of the most popular activities in Sebastian Inlet, with several surfing competitions held here every year. Check out this page for more information about surfing in Sebastian Inlet.
- Snorkeling. Given that the waters around Sebastian Inlet is home to a diverse marine life, it’s easy to see why the state park is also quite popular for snorkeling. Although the reefs in the area are roughly 300 feet away from the shore, the current can be quite strong. Snorkeling is highly recommended on bright sunny days when the tide is high, as visibility is guaranteed.
The reefs in Sebastian Inlet are as follows: the Cove (for beginners, non-swimmers, and kids) where small tropical fish thrive, North Rocks (for advanced swimmers) where the current is quite strong, North Jetty (a popular spot for surfers), and Sebastian South Beach.
- Scuba diving. If you wish to go deeper into Sebastian Inlet’s waters, go scuba diving. This activity is highly recommended during the summer months, as visibility is fantastic. Do take note of the rules, such as diving within a hundred feet of a dive flag.
- Visit the museums. There are two museums located in Sebastian Inlet: the Sebastian Fishing Museum and the McLarty Treasure Museum. The former is where you can learn all about Sebastian’s history, while the latter houses the treasures (ingots, coins, silver, weapons, and tools) recovered from the sunken 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet.
Discover More of Indian River County
Get in touch with Francine Kidder today at 772.925.9587 or email@example.com to learn more about homes for sale in Indian River County.